I made a “mirror box” for my uncle who had recently survived a stroke. I did a quick search on the internet for directions, but was unable to find comprehensive directions. Now, I am not sure why this was… did I just do a bad search? Had all the directions been taken down since some companies are now selling these boxes (for $50)? There were some excellent YouTube videos about it (“Mirror Therapy“), which gave me a good visual of what I needed to make, but did not actually give me directions on home to assemble one.
So here it is (until I am forced to take it down).
- Mirror- you can buy one at a craft store. I bought one a Pat Catan’s for $5. It was just under 12″ x 12″
- Foam board- neutral color
- Duct Tape
- Double Sided Tape
- Velcro- mine was 2″ thick, but this ended up being a bit too heavy duty. I recommend using a 3/4″ strip.
- Exact-o knife & cutting supplies (cutting matt and ruler)
- Cut 4 – 12″ x 12″ sections from the foam board
- you may need to adjust these dimensions depending on the size of your mirror.
2. Cut one board in half so that it is 12″ long by 6″ in wide.
3. Align the boards so that there the 6″ one is first then the three 12″ x 12″ sections.
4. place a strip of duct tape along the seams between each board so that they are all connected.
- consider leaving a 1/4″ space between the 3rd and 4th square to allow for folding of the “box” for storage.
- Reinforce these seems with another strip of tape if needed.
5. Apply a strip of velcro to board # 4 (along the far edge)
6. Fold over the 6″ board over & apply a strip of velcro along the inside edge of the 6″ board.
7. Apply the double sided tape to board #3.
- I did two long strips- one across the top and one across the bottom, and then made an”X”
8. Gently press mirror so it is centered on the board
9. Fold the mirror up & see your creation!!!